Killing ants is harder than it sounds, but you can end them in a sustainable way without harming your health and the environment.
Killing ants is harder than it sounds. Without proper maintenance, you may end up having to kill ants forever. Knowing how to get rid of ants in your home, on the other hand, is a simpler task. Common and natural materials like salt, vinegar, lemon, water and others can be mixed to scare away the ants in your home.
The application is made in the passage of ants, in the entrances like holes or cracks or in the main focus. There are several possible combinations of natural insecticide that you can prepare at home.
The use of chemicals such as pesticides, while effective in killing ants, is usually harmful to health and can also contaminate the environment. In addition to the bad smell and toxicity when inhaled, when they reach the soil, these substances are able to contaminate it, as well as the water tables or water wells that supply the homes.
In agriculture, the use of these chemicals to fight pests ends up creating risks for consumers of these foods, who do not always take the necessary precautions to decontaminate non-organic products. Enjoy and check out some tips on how to end this risk here: “Get rid of pesticides sustainably.”
Another usual way to apply pesticides is to fight some domestic insects, such as ants – insects that, when traveling through contaminated places, such as garbage and sewage, become mechanical vectors of pathogenic organisms, which can lead to various diseases, mainly those related to gastrointestinal problems.
The most frequent solution is the application of insecticides, but they carry risks equivalent to those just mentioned. As an alternative to these substances, there are some more sustainable and environmentally friendly ways, such as the use of biodegradable materials. Here are some tips that might help to kill ants.
Basically, the ingredients you will need to kill ants will be: salt, lemon, vinegar and water in equal measure, orange peels with water, petroleum jelly, cayenne pepper, chalk, masking tape, cornmeal, cinnamon (powder or spray), peppermint essential oil, refined sugar, coffee grounds, boiling water, baking soda and vinegar.
Direct application with natural ingredients
- Spray ants with water and vinegar equally. The low pH of the mixture should exterminate them without damaging the furniture, remembering that vinegar and baking soda are also great surface cleaning ingredients.
- When you see ants, use an adhesive tape over it and press with your fingers, repeating the process until the tape is done and capture as many ants as possible.
- Feed them with cornmeal. This natural method is effective for killing ants, as cornmeal makes it difficult for ants to digest, causing them to die.
- In the main focus, pour hot soapy water to kill most ants.
Techniques to kill ants
- Spread salt on flat surfaces, such as windows. Unlike sugar, ants won’t bother you anymore.
- Draw barriers with the chalk. With chalk stuck to the walls and cracks in the doors, ants will give up because they don’t like the calcium carbonate in the chalk.
- Squeeze lemon on the edges that are exposed outdoors. The strong citrus smell of lemon will scare off the ants.
- Cover cracks and cracks occupied by ants with cayenne pepper. But do this out of reach of pets so that they do not try to smell or lick the pepper.
- On larger surfaces, spray water and vinegar mixture.
- Spread orange peels around the foundation of your home or in the anthills. Again, with the citrus smell of the fruit the ants must flee.
- Pass Vaseline along the edges of your containers. Use this in your pet’s bowls which, as they come into contact with the ground, can attract many ants. With this, they will no longer disturb your animal when he is eating.
- The carnation also helps to drive away the ants. Just add a little inside the sugar bowl and the plates around the cakes that you can finish with ants quickly.
- Cinnamon powder can be placed around where it appears. It is easy to clean after application and ants detest small debris in its path. Spray cinnamon oil is great for spraying around places that serve as access and path for insects.
- Spray peppermint essential oil around windows, doors, sinks, and other access and pathways. Besides the ant fighting benefit, the product leaves a pleasant aroma in the place. The same procedure done with water and liquid mint soap also works.
- Amazingly, besides carrying food, ants also carry acidic substances for their protection. To combat this, mix baking soda and refined sugar in a plastic lid and deposit in strategic locations.
- Spend coffee grounds in the cracks and holes that can provide shelter for ants.
- Spread cream of wheat around anthills or paths that these insects make. The ants will feed on the cream and, because of their composition, will undergo an expansion process that will lead to their death.
Another effective method for ending ants is to leave the house clean. Do not leave crumbs scattered on the floor and frequently clean your countertop, especially the kitchen.
Also remember that ants are part of the food chain. Don’t eliminate everyone living in your neighborhood, just focus on protecting your home.